Urban Population Surpassed Rural Population in the mid-2000s
- Over 4 billion people live in cities.
- Cities account for more than 80 percent of global GDP (McKinsey Global Institute 2011).
- Cities consume more than two thirds of global energy and account for 70 percent of global emissions (World Bank 2010, p.15; UNFCCC 2017, p.8).
- Cities provide basic infrastructure and services, but often lack the fiscal resources to maintain and expand them.
- Curbing the negative impacts of climate change depends on cities providing sustainable urban infrastructure and services.